Friday, March 21, 2008

Manic Friday

Shaun was supposed to fly out to spend the weekend with his dad this morning at 6:45am. We got up early and arrived only about a 1/2 hour before the flight should have taken off but at a small airport like Long Beach that's usually more than enough time. Problem was that at that hour there is only one person working both the ticket counter and checking people in on the flight. So he left the ticket counter before we arrived and did not return until 1/2 hour after the flight took off.
So, he was booked onto the 9:54 flight. We drove back home to wait the 1 1/2 hours until we needed to leave for the next flight. We left with 60 minutes before his flight-it is a 20 min. drive, 4 min. walk, and 5 min. security, then 100 feet to the gate-total of 29 min-so 31 min early, right? It took us an hour and 10 min. No traffic, only 10 people in line ahead of us in security but even at 80 miles an hour, much faster than I normally drive, it took us 35 minutes to get there. By the time we arrived at the gate the flight was closed and they gave his seat away.
He was rescheduled for the 12:24pm flight. By this time I was in a frazzle. We left to get lunch. Then the strange thing happened. All morning my stomach had been in a knot. I figured it was the stress of everything, until we drove away. Suddenly a peace fell over me and I knew that for whatever reason Shaun was not supposed to be on either one of those flights. We got some lunch and then went to get him a haircut. (Clint always throws a fit when Shaun arrives with long hair. Both Shaun and I like the shaggy, surfer look but Clint wants clean cut and trimmed above the ears. Last time I sent him shaggy he came back with a buzz. I had just forgotten about getting it done before he left, so this "extra" time was a blessing.) We got to the airport over an hour early and I felt calm about the whole thing.
As I pulled into the airport I saw a car coming from a side street and I got like an almost evil feeling from it ( I don't know how else to describe it). I slowed down and just as they came to a stop at the stop sign they sped up and almost crashed right into us. Slamming on the brakes and swerving to the right, while they sped up and turned to the left, I was able to avoid them by inches. (I got the distinct impression that Satan was directing that car and didn't want him on this flight.) They drove on through as though nothing had happened.
We got through Security just fine and waited for about 40 min. His plane took off no problems. I feel as though Something beyond the vail has had a hand in my day and I have no idea why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter